Thursday, March 09, 2006

Miscellaneous

I've been listening to a lot of different stuff lately, tastes varying many ways. I've been all over from lite alternative country to white boy hip hop....all in the same family.


Pink Nasty & Black Nasty are polar opposites, but you could definitely see them being related. Pink sounds a lot like Jenny Lewis, but I find her voice not so sweet, a little bit more relaxed. And she's the only artist I've found that can make me tolerate an Usher song, so much so, I now love the song. "Burn" is so well done, I could see Country stations across the nation picking this up and getting a ton of airplay. Then you have her brother....Black Nasty....and there has to be something wrong with the boy. Who the fuck writes a song about fucking their cat? For that matter, who the fuck writes a song about his secret love affair with a certain famous diarist from WW II? Well, Black Nasty does with his song "Bitch Named Frank". The man must be a bit deranged, but when you hear his sister's calming voice singing backup, it kind of makes sense. You get the feeling that Pink is probably just a messed up as her brother, but keeps it under check.


I'm also a little upset when Matt didn't mention me or my friend Lauren at the recent show with Marbles and Of Montreal. I ended up filming (holding the camera) a lot Robert's accoustic set for him, but do I get a mention? A link.....so I can get some decent hits here? No, of course not. But I relent, I had a great fucking time.

But we hit a bit of a snafu before the show. Lauren pulled what I call a "Shelley" and forgot her license. The show was at Southgate House, and they are notorious for not letting people in without ID. And I had to shoot this show, it was part of my Color final at school. So what was I to do? Well....thanks must go to Matt. I called him and tried to figure something out, so when he got down to the basement, he went right up to Robert Schneider and told him the situation. Robert and Matt came up to me and said...."We'll sneak ONE person through the back." Oh my god, it was an unforgetable moment for me, one I'll remember for a while. And Robert, man, the guy puts on a great show. I didn't know any of his acoustic songs, but I'm relatively new to him (I just bought my first Apples CD a week before the show).


"....MARBLES..." What can you say about Robert that everyone else has already said before and better? Anyone that can sing karoke to their own songs, and keep a semi-straight face the whole time is gold in my book. And he had so much damn fun.


Plus the dude loves fucking MATH?! You must love him.


And then Of Montreal came on, and what Matt said was almost perfect. This is a Top Ten show for me. I can't say it any better. Kevin Barnes just has this great personality about him, a mix of Bowie and I'd say Colin Meloy. A bit of witty banter and ready to dance and rock. Can't really go wrong with that. And they played the few songs I knew.


Requiem For O.M.M. 2
Rapture Rapes The Music
Disconnect The Dots

They truely made a fan for life that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home