Sunday, March 12, 2006

Late Nite Drivers....


The best way I could describe Late Nite Drivers, for me, is.....solid. And I mean that in the best way possible. I met Billy and Chris way back in 2003, the same night I met PJ and Tommy actually. The above picture is not the band I met, it just used to be Billy (middle left) and Chris (far right) and one other member, Bruce (now of Wet Leather fame). They've added a guitarist (Jeremy, formerly of Dead Like Presleys) and then lost both Bruce and Jeremy. And they've kept on, creating some of the coolest garage rock mixed with some sweet hooks and harmonies.

And they're great guys. Way back in the fall of 2003, Saving Face ended up doing a tour where they stayed with me for a few days. I helped book a show for them here in Dayton, with PJ and Tommy and Late Nite Drivers. Well, two members of LND decided they had a show coming up that was more important, so they weren't going to play. If they didn't, it would have left Saving Face hung to dry. But Billy and Chris don't do business that way, so they ended up playing a great solo set, with Billy on guitar and Chris on drums. It still stands up as one of those very cool moments in my rock and roll life.

And I haven't even gotten to the music yet! I haven't bought their new album, a self titled debut called.....well, Late Nite Drivers. And it strikes me as funny, for I have three other CDs by the band, but I guess this is the debut with the newest members, which Billy and Chris seem very happy to be with. With Heather on guitar and New Chris on bass, they seem to be perfectly in junction with each other.

"Fair Trade" This is one of my new favorite tracks from any local Dayton bands. While I still might favor the version of the band with Jeremy and Bruce, this new version is chipping away at that top spot. Heather's vocals add so much, in such short spurts. And Billy's voice is a whole new level, not so gravely, much smoother.

"Who We Are" This bouncy track feels a bit different than what I'm used to from LND. But great still. If I see the band moving in this direction, I will follow. Just like Bono.

Bonus Tracks:

Here are a few tracks from old albums and EPs!

Say That
Rock Quarry
And The Preacher Asked...

P.S. Billy, if you're reading this, I need a mp3 of "Setting Up For A Fall", it could have been a fricking hit single!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

Hey, you should hop over to my blog. I've got some stuff up on this band The Pipettes and I think you might like them.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home