Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Now That It's Finally Up...

That interview with Sarah was in the planning since the begining of the site....and then you wonder why it took so long for me to ask amateurish questions, and my response is: go to hell.

First off, I just finally got my Stree Drum Corps album, and even with it being ever so brief, it totally fits the vibe they were going for. I've met Bobby Alt plenty of times now and his drumming is so out there sometimes, that I wondered if he would better fit a more jam band type situation. And he does. The Street Drum Corps (or SDC) are the punk version of STOMP. Hell, they even have John Sawicki of STOMP join them for "Achilles". Their lead song, at least in every live video I've seen of them, "Wrecks", is just one of the standouts. If they're ever in your area, check them out.

P.S. They play weddings, baht & bah mitvah's and birthday parties. Book them!


One week ago, I got to see We Are Scientists for the sixth time, and for the sixth time, I've seen them play in either a crowd not meant for them or a venue that just plain sucks. I even had really nice 1600 speed film from Fuji to shoot this time, after the Cleveland debacle that left me with $25 in development costs for crappy images. This time....look, I'll be honest with you, these images aren't great either, but they're better than the last time I shot them. So we'll work with what we got.

All in all, the show was pretty damn good. The constant touring has really made them tighter than I've ever seen them. But, the same complaint I've thrown at them each time I've seen them lately is the same: the setlist is pretty much the same. I've seen the show. But for the first time, I'm alright with that. I've come to expect that they will no longer play old songs, hell, stuff from two years ago seems like ancient history. And they played the hell out of the show that night.



But we can't forget about Au Revoir Simone. This 60's girl group meets The Postal Service really was an odd choice for an opener. But there was one girl in the group, I hate to forget names, but she just had so much damn energy, that she totally made me crush on her instantly (she's the one on the right). They were a great diversion from the indie rock about to happen that night.

They have two great tracks up on their website:

Hurricanes
Through The Backyards

The Double, on the other hand, let's just say they got off to a rocky start with me and I think most of the audience. With Au Revoir Simone, they had song structure and everything, but The Double were this weird little noise band that until the last third of their set did I finally start to get them. That's not good, it shouldn't take that long. But when your songs seem to stretch out into infinity with no begining or end, you can't do much.

Back to WAS. They really kept the crowd going with their set, Keith being the stage demon that he is, made use of the whole thing, even running into the crowd at one point to sing to the people not in the up close. What a sweet fucking guy.

But all in all, the show was another of the same. Nithin from Wet Leather and The Motel Beds stopped by. Hadn't seen him in well over a year and a half or so. Hadn't gotten "Wet" in a while. Anywho, it was really great to see the boys again, they really are one of the best bands out there, and my favorite when it comes to how they treat their friends. Except for one thing: after talking with the band after the show, me and my bestest pal Shells went to buy a t-shirt (she was getting me one for my birthday (just turned 21 on the 19th of June)) and the merch guy was like..."Uhhh, I'm all counted out, I can't sell you anything."

Are you fucking stupid? We were going to give you money! So you could buy lunch the next day probably! DON'T YOU KNOW WHO WE ARE? WE'RE PERSONAL FRIENDS TO THE STARS....TO THE SCIENTISTS!!!! Whoooo......I'm better now. Guess I'll just buy my next shirt online. I miss the days when Chris and Keith ran the booth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home