Monday, July 10, 2006

Shrug...

Shrug is one of two bands in Dayton that really gave me a start in photography (the other being The Motel Beds). I met Dan Stahl at a Decemberists concert down in Kentucky (one attended by Matt from You Ain't No Picasso) and I became friends with him. I had seen the band's singer, Tod Weidner, before at a solo show that he performed with PJ & Tommy of TMB...damn, I'm name dropping really bad, but it does set things up.


After meeting Dan at the show, and him seeing my Decemberists shots, he said he'd like for me to take some pictures at the next Shrug show. I was totally up for that, because around then, TMB was fading away, sadly. But I really didn't know the band that well, so he floated me a copy of their self titled release, which was their third album. Here's a track from it called "Jenny" (this song usually gets the whole crowd jumping, one of their most up-tempo songs they have).

So I tried this little band out. And wow, they really have a truly unique sound. Kind of southern boogie rock meets singer/songwriter songs meets a kind of power pop kick. But you really got to admire that they try that sound. It's only really recently that this kind of sound has been making it and yet they've been doing this for well over a decade.

These shots are from their tremendous CD release show for Whole Hog For The Macho Jesus. The album is the same style I mentioned above, but each song is just a hit. Though I think one of the most accessible songs is "Further & Further", another great up-tempo number.

I really have to thank the whole band, they really helped me out to get a foothold doing shows. And I'll always thank them for it. This is truly an ass kissing piece, but I don't care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home