Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Static Age...


The first time I ever laid my eyes on The Static Age was way back in 2004 (I know, man, way way back). Manda & The Marbles were throwing their release party/show for Angels With Dirty Faces and they had two opening acts. One was this guy playing guitar and keyboards and other stuff by himself and he was adequate, if not boring.


Then all of a sudden, this tiny little guy with his friends came out on stage and played the shit out of these amazing, dark, new wave songs. Andrew Paley (who I mentioned before is the man behind Paper Tigers, which soon will have a name change) really has a great stage presence, very calm, very collected, but his voice just draws you in.


And you can't forget Adam and Sarah Rose. Now, for the longest times, my bass player heroes were people like Rachel Haden, Sarah Saturday, Matt Sharp and others, because I either loved their lines or their stage presence. Now, Adam doesn't have a big presence, but his bass lines are pretty much my favorite ever. It's weird to say that, but they are just so damn great, they get into your head like no other. Rosey on the other hand, is even more relaxed than Drew. She's a damn cucumber, so calm she is. But her keys truly fill out each and every song, you couldn't imagine any of them without her.

Now, they had a different drummer at the time I first saw them, but these photos, taken from the time they were in Columbus, were with Tim, who's a pretty sweet drummer and guy.

Now, the pictures, well, let's just say that I unearthed these prints out of the dumster of some photo studio. They were wrecked and damaged and I did all I could to get them to you.....orrrr, we could tell the real story. That day, I just had bought a new flash that I had never tested before. And let's say it was a we bit more powerful than I thought it would be. So things got really washed out with flash, so I took what few prints off the one B&W roll I shot to give to you guys. I think I got ten servicable images, but I give you four tonight.

In return, I also give you songs! Whoot!

"Augustine" from their first album, The Cost Of Living and "Saltsick" from their second album Neon Nights Electric Lives. Enjoy them both!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home