Tuesday, January 31, 2006

MATM Pt. 2

I drove up to Columbus , getting there pretty early, around 8:30 actually.....which is the time Mark told me to....where am I going with this. Well, MATM didn't go on till 12:30....yep. But it was cool, I mean, I got in for free, which I never complain about. It also gave me time to get to know new band member Mike Fiction and his lovely.....lady friend (can't contradict his bio). He's a terrific guy (and I'm not just complimenting to so not have bad feelings between me and the band, he's honestly just a sweet guy). He's been in some cool bands, including goth band Gossamer and his side project with MATM's keyboardist Elias called Pressure : Penetration.

He's also a photographer, which we did chat about for a while and I may work with him and the band again soon. Back to the show. They had a decent opener, but one who I don't remember the name or any of the songs very brightly, but hey, I have a shitty memory. The second opener was a cool little band called The Science Fiction Idols. They have their own brand of cool, punky, cock rock. Very L.A., but not bad at all.

I Want You To Lie (just click on it)

Finally, after an incredibly long night of waiting, Manda & The Marbles came on. And from the get go, you could tell this was going to be a fun performance. And even Manda falling completely on her ass before a song started couldn't stop it. They opened with the first MATM song I ever heard:

Dangerous


From there, they just went through great song after great song. They even popped in a new one....entitled....."New One". I think they'll need to brainstorm some more on it. They played old favorites like "Sex Object" and "Forget About The Day" and cuts off their newest album (Angels With Dirty Faces) like "Lipstick" and set closer "Kids Just Wanna Dance".

Kids Just Wanna Dance

They even came back on for an encore for one of my favorite songs, "Fast Cars".

Fast Cars

I even learned what might be their new idea for their next music video, which I hope to God I can be a part of. What that is, I can't reveal. But in the end, I can't say anything bad about this show. Mike pulled off an amazing job for his first show with the band and the band, who I'm sure had to work just as hard, because they hadn't played a show for almost a year. And I never even noticed. They were just that good.

P.S. I'd also like to give a shout out to Matt of You Ain't No Picasso. I've known Matt now for about a year and a half, right before he started his blog. I was probably one of the first five to read it (I'm also a member of the Bishop Allen board where we all met Matt) and I'm just shocked as hell to see how well Matt's done. He's linked me a couple of times now (today was my best day visit wise on the blog because of him and Gorilla Vs. Bear) and he deserves all the success he's gotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home