Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Flee The Seen, Hit The Lights & Thrice....

I'm not a hardcore music fan. Not like I don't love music a lot, I mean the hardcore scene. I can't get into the screaming and headbanging. It's just a bit too much for me most days. It's like....I don't know, it just can be too silly.

But lately, my tastes have slighty been shifting. I was surfing STIM TV (shameless plug) and I came across this video for a band called Flee The Seen. Now, the easiest way to get my attention is to put a female front & center, with a bass and let her sing. You will guarentee yourself at least a listen from me, cause there's nothing I can do to stop myself from loving the female bassist/singer. I just fall for them completely.

So I catch this video, for a song called "Wire Tap Out" and the song alone caught my ear, but the video sealed it. Here was this very forceful, yet extremely beautiful woman banging out the bass lines while singing the shit out of this song. I'm not gonna lie and say her beauty didn't help with winning me over, but the song kept me going afterwards. You can check the video out here.

The next band on my list is one I might catch up in Chicago on my upcoming trip, that is if the people I'm traveling with are going with me. Hit The Lights is a band I've seen a few times, they're from Lima, OH, which isn't too far away. I've caught them all the way from basement type shows all the way to Warped Tour. But the most bizarre show I've seen them at, was with a band I could never ever in my life picture them with.....The Static Age. When I heard that TSA was doing a tour with Hit The Lights, I was shocked. Not because Hit The Lights aren't a good band, but because they just didn't seem to fit. But let me provide you with a few samples go with my story:

"Bodybag" & "Save Your Breath"

"Bodybag" has to be one of the most catchy punky-poppy songs I've heard in years. The lyrics, while being the tinyest bit cheesy, are more than made up for with the catchiest chorus and sound. You really have to give the band props for the song. That's always been my favorite thing about the band, they've always written songs that catch you pretty quickly.

And my last band, my ever favorite Thrice. Ever since Sarah Saturday got me hooked on them, I have to keep finding more. On my most recent trip to Columbus, I was in a great record store next to Skully's and I found their Red Sky EP, which has one of the best songs I've ever heard the band put out (which still isn't much yet, but I'm working on that). "Flags Of Dawn" is one of the two songs I've heard lately that this band isn't your typical post-hardcore type band. They have a beautiful, light side to them that's just coming out with the release of Vheissu and the Red Sky EP. The other being Dustin Kensrue's acoustic work. He does a lot of solo shows with just an acoustic guitar and it really brings out the pop sensibilities of his songs. One of the best has to be the acoustic version of "Artist In The Ambulence". When I heard it sounded like The Cure, I had to check it out and I was completely suprised at how much it does sound like Mr. Smith. You really have to hear it to believe it.

Anywho, that's all for now. Watch out for snakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home