Tuesday, July 25, 2006

High School Albums: The Missed Ones! Pt. 2

This one scares me. The fact that it didn't make my Top 5 is really something. This album influenced so many bands, they're pretty much uncountable now. It's pretty much considered one of the Top Ten Albums of the 80's, by anyone that really loves music. I just don't know how I either forgot and just didn't put it in:

It was durring my Sophomore year. I was dating a girl named Kat and I had just heard Weezer cover "Velouria" (Weezer still being my favorite band at that time). While browsing a CD store in the mall (yet another mall story, huh?), I came across this album. I heard that this was the one to get (would later hear that Doolittle was the one to get, but what can ya do?). My girlfriend wasn't into listening to it on the way home, so I finally was able to hear it in my own room.

This thing was like a whole new world to me. This expansive sound, yet....it sounded like it was recorded in my cellar. But that fit it didn't it? And it didn't really hit me until "Broken Face". Here was a song, just 1 minute 30 seconds long. But the thing just tore my face off. With lyrics that didn't make a fucking lick of sense, you had to listen carefully to try to grasp the song. You couldn't, but listening closely made the damn thing stick in your head. But what was worse was the fact that it went right into "Gigantic".

I can't tell you how many times I was just humming in high school...."Hey Paul, hey Paul, hey Paul, let's have a ball". And the first time I heard the song, I fell instantly in love with Kim Deal. And that was okay, cause I grew up in a town one over from the one she grew up in. Showing some Dayton love baby.

The rest of the album was marvelous, really delivering on everything everyone told me. But it was the last song, "Brick Is Red" that really hit it home. I don't know why it does it to me, but I can't help but repeat the song every time I hear it at the end of the album. It's just lovely.

Well, tomorrow, I head down to Cincinnati to shoot Warped Tour. What does that hold for me? Let me see: The Sounds, Motion City Soundtrack, Single File, Joan Jett and the MOTHERFUCKING STREET DRUM CORPS!!!! Yeah!!!! See ya later!

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Burkhalter said...

You do know the law of seeing Joan Jett in concert... when she says "Do you want to touch," you pound your f-ing fist into the air and shout a mighty "yeah!" like you're a pirate just found his treasure chest...

Joan Jett (several years ago) was oneof my best concert going experiences of all time...

And as for the Pixies, this album was forced on me against my will, and it changed everything for me once I listened to it...

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home